Saturday, November 24, 2012

Music and Life


        High school choir sucked. Biased, didn't have the same opportunities, discouraging. These were my frustrations in my music experience. College came. Because I just love music and singing so much, my high school expetience didn't falter my desire for it. And thus I swore to myself to do everything to enter a University Choir.

        Before even UP Cebu's enrollment started, I was already checking the school website for any university choirs in the campus like the ever famous UP Madrigals, Ambassadors, and so on. Scrolling down, I saw nothing. I was discouraged. It almost made me decide not to enroll in UP Cebu. But the thought of a university not having their choir was just too weird. So I gave it a shot and I would transfer if there wasn't any choir in UP Cebu.

        Parent's orientation came. I was outside the conference hall, waiting for my mom. And suddenly this beautiful voice I heard, singing Ave Maria(not sure) for the program's invocation. From that instant, I know this will be the choir for me.

      Enrolled at the university, I began seeing performances from UP SERENATA, UP Cebu's official choir, one after the other. From the intermission number of “Don't stop believing” at our freshie orientation to “Seasons of Love” for the Club orientation. I was full of excitement. I was impatient. I wanted to audition right away. After they announced the audition, I talked to the first person I met from the choir, kuya Bap, and asked for audition schedules and preparations. I was ready.

      Audition day: I met 2 people from the photocopying store that were members of the choir too. Thus, ate Cielli and ate Muki led me to the music room. It was old. But full of energy, full of history, full of vigor. I got really nervous after they sang a bit. In the audition we were told to sing certain notes played in the piano. I did quite okay. After, we were told to sing our piece. I sang “When you say nothing at all” by Ronan Keating. Then it was off to the interview and the face test. After the whole auditions, we were told to wait for results, most likely 2 weeks.

        2 weeks was pretty long. I was nervous, and excited at the same time. But as the results went out, I was happy I passed! From that moment, I knew my life would change. Drastically.

      Few months after practices and all, it was a challenge to balance academics and practices. A lot of exams, studying, and time was spent on both sides. But it only determined me to do more. So from that, I learned to effectively manage my time.

Singing "Beautiful In My Eyes" by
Joshua Kadison, Serenata goes solo
        As moments passed by, I felt the choir was getting closer. Each one was treated fairly, everyone was family. It was totally different from my high school experience. Rigorous, challenging, but we were together all the way. Performance after another, we performed both solo and group songs. Workshops like serenata goes solo, team buildings, and more. My skills got better. My note distinction got better, singing properly and with poise, and my other music skills improved. I was happy.

        But that wasn't the only thing I got from serenata. I got privilege, respect, and happiness. I learned to balance my school and activities, I got (a huge) confidence boost, my leadership skills improved, and much more.
Performing Filipino Folk songs in the Pasundayag Concert
The bass of the choir

A medley of "Ugoy ng Duyan" and "Bohemian Rhapsody"


Their surprise party for me the day I left for Japan


     It honed me to be a great student and a performer. Mini Concerts, Christmas performances, school invocations, they were great. I was open to more opportunities. It was also one of the reasons I got to be a foreign exchange student to Japan, with everyone cheering and supporting me all the way (not to mention advices and consultations on paper processing).

      The best memory I have with serenata was on the Jcentre Christmas Melodies contest held last December 18, 2011. It was rigorous. Impromptu decision to join, only 2 weeks of practice. Even my birthday was spent on practicing for the contest. But it was all worth it. We bagged the first place, efforts was given justice. We sang a christmas medley (link below).

        I may had a vague reason of why I joined UP SERENATA, but it has changed my view on singing and music. If given the chance to ask again on why I joined serenata, I would say its because of 3 things: Self, family, and friends.

Thank you serenata for being part of my life. I miss you guys so much. :)

#ReasonWhyIJoinedUPSerenata :)

No comments:

Post a Comment