Sunday, October 21, 2012

Into the Corporate Sage’s Eyes: Japan Business Trends


             Business is the common language of the world, as everyone would say. It doesn’t matter what country you live in, as long as you know the language of money, investment, partnerships, and stocks, survival is easy globally.

As a business major in the Philippines, I have been fully observing business trends and competition in the businesses around the country. I could say that I have a fair knowledge about it. But that is not enough. To be a great businessman someday, I must also be aware of business trends in other countries for me to think globally, also so that I could apply global trends in my country when I plan to set up a business.

Being privileged to study in Japan as a foreign exchange student, I did not miss the opportunity to expand my knowledge in business trends. Since my arrival in Japan, I have started observing businesses, how they earn, how they sell, and many more. The result of my observations were a lot, but I would just like to specify this post to business trends, surviving in Japan’s corporate world, and competition among other corporate rivals.

Here’s my one phrase description of businesses in Japan: Needles in a haystack. Difficult to get in it, difficult to stay in it. Yes, that’s an unexaggerated description of businesses here. I have two points to discuss here. Going in and Staying in.

First point: Going in. Very difficult. For a country with such high prices of goods and services, only few people could afford to set up a business to earn profit while being able to maintain the business’ shape in tip-top condition. If you are that inspired to set up a business but has no easy access of capital, well all I can say is good luck with that. You’ll need extra hard work, extra work hours, and extra creativity and resourcefulness to be able to get the amount of investment you’ll need. Once you have the money, what you need right now is the plan on how to make it work. All kinds of businesses are already here, everything you can think of selling and serving, yes, and they’re here. What you need is the plan to attract customers and gain credibility. May it be sales or bargains, the choice is yours. Once you have the money and the plan, well its time to set it up. And so we move to my next point, staying in.

Second Point: Staying in. Much more difficult. Countless businesses have already set up their names in Japan, from microbusinesses to Corporations and all.  They are also everywhere, literally speaking.  But do not fear, you still have a chance! Of the millions living in Japan, you should be able to grab some customers. In my observations, Monopolistic businesses here are quite few, so competition is somewhat easy. And businesses in Japan are customer-centered, which means that you, as the businessman, must think of every way to please your customer and treat them like your masters. Still, one must see to it that you get the right publicity and employees to stand out from other businesses.

Sun Road, Kichijoji
To give an example, I’d like to describe competition in Kichijoji’s sun road and Akihabara’s Electric City. These two are some of the most crowded places in Tokyo, the Sun Road selling mostly food, and Electric City with Gadgets and electronics (duh). Because of the population crossing those places, it results to high business competition in those areas. In sun road, different food establishments can be seen: from small businesses to Internationally known businesses (Like McDonalds, Shakey’s, etc.). Food can be one of the goods that are the most easy to sell. But when there are hundreds of businesses in the same place, competing for the same hungry customers, how should you handle it? From my observations, businesses gets customers through employees standing outside, bringing with them the menus and discounts (if there are any) and they call people with their loudest voice to try to attract customers. Exceptions are the establishments with known names; the people go to them willingly. But I also observed that some businesses sometimes gets more customers from the rest, sometimes they can beat the famous ones. How did they do it? A presentable shop, with a presentable employee outside, and with a reasonable price. The same goes with Akihabara’s Electric city, businesses gets more customers if they showcase their best offers and all.
Electric City, Akihabara

These are just some of my observations in business trends in Japan, since I will be here for a year, I could update this post and talk in an in-depth description of businesses here. Maybe on customer-business relations, and customer service. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment