Friday, October 19, 2012

The Problems of Rich and Poor Countries

A First World Problem

           “First World Problems”: a joke to generalize how people living from the First World Countries are struggling with “Problems.” Lines go from funny issues like “My Internet is too fast, I can’t read hints in games” or “I want to turn off the lines, but my bed is too comfortable for me to stand up again” to lines that are a bit discriminating like “I hate my Government, but I live too comfortably and peacefully to complain anything” to “My fridge is too dark, because its filled with food that blocks the light.”

Privileged to be a foreign exchange student, I have been living in Japan, a first world country, for almost 2 months now. Ever since I’ve arrived, I’ve also experienced these so-called First World “Problems,” too fast Internet speed, too orderly place, too clean environment, and all the other things.  At first I was enjoying these things, being exposed to a life befitting someone living in a first-world country. But as I continue living here, I see great flaws in this so-called “First World” country.

I am a Filipino. Born Filipino, made Filipino. The Philippines is the country I consider my homeland. A country considered “Third World” by international standards. Yes, think of any Third World problem you can think of, it’s all present here: Crimes, Corruption, Lack of Education funds, Environmental problems, Scarce resources, and more. This was the environment I grew up in. for 17 years now, I have accustomed myself to live in this difficult life. Struggling for survival, at the same time dreaming to make a change. Yes, I have survived a great struggle and never gave up. I have learned to survive, to make do with scarce resources, to conserve energy and resources as much as I can. With these, I am now starting to realize my dream. Now, I am exposing myself to the whole world.

But I never realized a First World country could have many problems. These problems, as observed from someone from a Third World, are not the same kind of problems from my country. Rather, the problems are in the people living in the First World country. Yes, these problems are morals and values.

I may have a biased opinion on this issue, but I have similar statements from other people living in the same Third World countries, so I may not be far from the truth. Observing how people live in Japan, it’s a life full of wasted things. A lot of clean and drinkable water is wasted everyday in homes, schools, and apartments. Foods that are in excess in homes are being thrown away that easily. Furniture and appliances with simple and repairable problems are being disposed immediately. Huge amounts of electricity wasted: not removing chargers and sockets for days, not turning off appliances even when not used. Every time I see people do these things, it hurts me a lot. I can’t imagine how people here could waste these precious things when other people from other third world countries are suffering from lack of resources. It hurts me to think how I could tolerate these things when I have lived a life far from this. I have lived from a country where everything is conserved to its extent. Where we are taught to unplug everything when appliances are not in use. Where we are strictly told to save every single drop of water and every single grain of rice.

Im not pointing these problems just on where I'm staying right now. This stated problems might be applicable at other first world countries as well. Now I can compare life from opposite social stratifications. Funny how a poor country could have good things those rich countries couldn’t have, and vice versa.  It just goes to show how equal we were all made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment